Tag Archives: Motorola Mobility

Apple did not violate Motorola patent, appeals court rules

Apple did not violate a push notifications patent held by the Google-owned Motorola Mobility according to a ruling posted today by the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

The International Trade Commission previously determined that Apple’s iPhone design did not violate a patent held by Motorola prompting the Google-owned company to appeal the decision, but today Apple was once again ruled clear of any patent violations.

The ruling can be read in full here.


Filed under: AAPL Company Tagged: Appeals court, Apple, court, Google, Motorola, Motorola Mobility, Patent Disputes, patents, sensor patent

Visit 9to5Mac to find more special coverage of AAPL Company, Apple, and Google.

What do you think? Discuss "Apple did not violate Motorola patent, appeals court rules" with our community.

Apple And Google Talk Arbitration In Hopes Of Ending Their Global Patent Disputes

The thermonuclear patent war may have a silver lining under its mushroom cloud thanks to some recent talks between Apple and Google’s Motorola Mobility. It appears the two companies are seriously considering putting and end to their global patent disputes via arbitration.

According to a report by Bloomberg, the two companies have been exchanging proposals on using binding arbitration to reach a licensing agreement over Motorola’s standards-essential patents. Despite the numerous claims Apple has asserted against Motorola, alleging misuse and an unreasonable demand for royalties, Apple has had very little success with the courts.

Motorola Mobility was first to suggest arbitration but Apple didn’t become privy to the idea until a federal judge in Madison, Wisconsin, threw out a breach-of-contract case that Apple had filed. Why would Motorola Mobility consider arbitration when they were doing just fine with the courts? To put an end to all the litigation of course (and maybe to get the FTC off their back).

“We have long sought a path to resolving patent issues and we welcome the chance to build on the constructive dialogue between our companies,” Google General Counsel Kent Walker said in a Nov. 13 letter to Apple that was filed with the court. “While we prefer to seek a framework for a global (rather than piecemeal) resolution that addresses all of our patent disputes, we are committed to reaching agreement on a license for our respective standard-essential patents.”

So the real question is: “Will Apple be willing to put their nukes back in the silos?” It appears so:

“Apple is also interested in resolving its dispute with Motorola completely and agrees that arbitration may be the best vehicle to resolve the parties’ dispute,” Apple said in the filing.

Rumors of an Apple truce began to circulate soon after Apple and HTC agreed to their own 10-year licensing agreement. That gesture of resolve led many to believe Apple was changing its nuclear mentality in favor of a more diplomatic solution. I’d say it’s sure looking that way.

If this pans out, the only major “frenemy” left in this patent war would be Samsung — and we all know how they feel about negotiating with Apple.

Source: Bloomberg




Federal Judge Tosses Out Apple’s Lawsuit Against Motorola Mobility

Thankfully, it’s been some time since I’ve written about an Apple patent lawsuit, however, that doesn’t mean they’ve magically disappeared. The latest in Apple’s crusade against Google (via Motorola Mobility), leads us to a U.S. District Court in Madison, Wisconsin. Apple was slated to go up against Motorola Mobility with allegations of unfair licensing practices, however, Judge Barbara Crabb has dismissed Apple’s lawsuit with prejudice — meaning the case is over at the trial court level.

“We’re pleased that the court has dismissed Apple’s lawsuit with prejudice,” a Google spokeswoman said in an emailed statement on Monday.

Apple still has the opportunity to appeal, and since they’ve been reluctant to pay Motorola anything above $1 per iPhone to license the patents, it’s highly likely they will (appeal, that is).

Google remains interested in reaching an agreement with Apple over the licensing, however, has no plans to bow to Apple’s lowball figure and still stands by Motorola’s offers.

“Motorola has long offered licensing to our extensive patent portfolio at a reasonable and non-discriminatory rate in line with industry standards.”

Since it’s obvious neither party sees eye to eye on the issue and refuses to compromise, we’re guessing the lawsuits will continue.

On a positive note, it would appear that the judges are becoming encumbered with these shenanigans and slowly losing their patience. We’re starting to see more dismissals and that’s certainly a good thing.

Source: Reuters




Congress considering forbidding sales bans related to essential patents

Reuters reported today that Congress is set to discuss whether or not companies that hold patents considered essential to an industry standard, “such as a digital movie format”, should be allowed to request bans on infringing devices. A hearing will take place this Wednesday with the Senate Judiciary Committee and FTC officials are expected to testify:

“If they (smartphone makers) had taken the conservatively $15 to $20 billion dollars they’ve spent on this fight, imagine how much better a place the world would be,” said Lemley.



Google attempts to block U.S. iPhone & iPad shipments over 3G patents

Update: A report from Bloomberg Businessweek confirmed and provided some clarification. As we reported in April, the ITC will have to review Judge Pender’s previous ruling that Apple infringed on one Motorola patent related to industry standard 3G and wireless technologies. The date for that hearing is now scheduled for August 24 and could result on a block of iOS devices from Asia to the US:

The U.S. International Trade Commission said it will review ITC Judge Thomas Pender’s findings that Apple was violating one of four Motorola Mobility patents. The commission is scheduled to issue a final decision on Aug. 24, and has the power to block devices made in Asia from entering the U.S.

According to several tweets from financial analyst @zerohedge, Google is apparently attempting to block shipments of the iPhone and iPad in the U.S. related to 3G patents. We don’t have any more information at the moment, but we’ll keep you updated as the story unfolds…

CNBC is reporting a Reuters story of the same nature

(Developing)



Apple faces delays in bid for sales bans in German Motorola case and US Galaxy Tab case

According to two separate reports today, Apple is once again facing roadblocks in its attempt to win sales bans in a patent-related litigation with Samsung and Motorola.

The first report comes from Bloomberg about a court in Dusseldorf, Germany, which said Apple would likely lose its bid for an injunction on Motorola’s Xoom tablet in the country:

The German court that banned Samsung Electronics Co.’s Galaxy 10.1 tablet sales last year is unlikely to grant Apple the same victory against Motorola Mobility’s device, Presiding Judge Johanna Brueckner-Hofmann said at a Dusseldorf hearing. The assessment is preliminary and may change after today’s arguments are reviewed. A ruling is scheduled for July 17… “We don’t think someone sits in a coffee house using the Xoom and hopes other people will think he owns an iPad,” Brueckner-Hofmann said.

The second report is related to the ongoing United States Samsung/Apple patent case. Today, CIO claimed Apple’s request to ban Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 was delayed due to a judge in California telling the court it will hold off on a ruling:

Apple’s bid to get a ban on sales in the U.S. of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet has been delayed after a federal court in California said on Monday it could not rule right away on Apple’s request for a preliminary injunction, while the matter is before an appeals court… The judge said Apple can renew its request for a preliminary injunction once the appeal court issues its ruling.



Google closes Motorola deal, appoints CEO that Apple once tried to poach

Google just announced it closed the deal on its $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility, but new reports suggest that direct-competitor Apple tried to poach newly-appointed Motorola chief and Googler Dennis Woodside sometime last year.

Bloomberg, which cited two people familiar with the matter, claimed Apple’s CEO Tim Cook contacted Woodside and tried to lure him away with a flashy proposal to become head of sales at the Cupertino, Calif.-based Company.

Meanwhile, Google’s CEO Larry Page had to guarantee Woodside a better gig to keep him from jumping ship, which poised the executive to take the reigns as Motorola’s new top-dog.

According to Bloomberg: 

Last August, Google (GOOG) Chief Executive Officer Larry Page fulfilled a pledge made to one of his senior executives, a square-jawed former attorney named Dennis Woodside. Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook had been trying to poach Woodside to make him Apple’s head of sales, but Google had convinced Woodside to stay, in part by promising him greater responsibility at the search company, according to two people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions were private. Now it was time to make good. Woodside says he was speaking with board member Ram Shriram when Page asked him to run Motorola Mobility, the company Google had just acquired for $12.5 billion. ‘He said, ‘I know you’ve been looking for a challenge,’’ Woodside recalls. ‘I want you to run Motorola. I think you’d be great at it. Can you let me know by tonight?’’

Read the full-story about Google’s acquisition of Moto at 9to5Google. 

(Image via SmartphoneEnvy)

Related articles