Reports are coming in today that the latest version of Requiem, an app that removes Fairplay DRM from music and videos sold via iTunes, will now also remove the DRM from iBooks ebooks.The news is notable in that it's the first time that iBooks DRM has been circumvented. This would allow iBooks downloaded from iTunes to be used on other platforms besides Apple's iBooks reader.
Apple's DRM for music and movies have been circumvented in the past, and resulted in a cat and mouse game of updates to iTunes to disable these hacks. Apple will likely respond in a similar fashion to this hack.
Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Apple Releases iMac Wi-Fi Update v1.0
• Apple Sells Top 3 U.S. Smartphone Models for All of 2011
• Apple Releases EFI Firmware Updates for Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Air and Pro
• Samsung "Street Challenge" Pits iPhone Against Galaxy Note
• Apple Co-Founder Ron Wayne on "Why I Left Apple"